Re: chown: Function not implemented

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 09:52:12PM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:

>     cfm> I note that there is a bug filed on this now.  Our web
>     cfm> publishing scripts use chown and rearrange symlinks a lot.
>     cfm> Is this somehow `deprecated' and not to be counted on in
>     cfm> which case I'd make my own /bin/lchown?  chown -h failed same
>     cfm> way.
>
> Why, other than for aesthetic reasons, would you want to change the
> ownership of a symlink?  Ownership of the link doesn't influence
> access to the file the link references, nor does it affet the ability
> of non-priviledge users to remove the link.

Some programs act differently according to the name they are called with.
Theoretically a program when called by a certain symlink may do something
you don't want just anybody doing.

--
  Mike Schmitz     mschmitz@bend-or.com    http://www.bend-or.com/~mschmitz
  Don't blame me - I voted libertarian!    http://www.lp.org/