Re: New section in potato?

On 13 Dec, Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR wrote:

> Joseph Carter writes:
>> "Desktop" with KDE and Gnome would be HUGE.  No, Gnome section now, KDE
>> section later when we have KDE.  Gnome and KDE are BOTH big enough for
>> their own sections, Gnome is as big as tex and KDE is bigger.
> Please: this is wrong!  The sections are *not* there for our convenience
> but for the USERS to find what they WANT, based on CATEGORIES of software.
> Rationale: The ultimate goal of the sections is to make it easy for even
> the novice user to pick the sections corresponding to the work areas they
> will be using.
> So the "tex" section was, IMHO, always a mistake and I'd definitely prefer
> that all the "tex" packages quietly migrated to the "text" section (or, in
> a few cases, elsewhere).

I have to agree with joseph.  As a user, I would much prefer to see a
gnome section, it's just much more convenient when I want to install
the entire gnome system (and many will, since gnome is an integrated
user interface).  I agree with the above rationale generally, but gnome
seems to be an exception to the rule; it is simply more intuitive to
have it available clumped together.  KDE also, if the licensing issues
can be resolved.
If by Metapackage you mean a package which simply contains the entire
gnome dist (or "pointers" to all of the packages in gnome), that might
be a cool alternative.

C. Thomas

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas.  I'm frightened
of the old ones.
                -- John Cage