Support on fixing bugs.

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 09:17:33AM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> > I just noticed that there is such information in the README.gz in
> > /usr/doc/ppp. Phil: Would you mind making a Changelog.gz a symlink to
> > README.gz?
>
> Hi Torsten,

Hi Philip!

(I Cc'ed this to debian-devel in the hope we get more people working on Debian
bugs...)

> Will do.  I'm just putting the next release together (taking a bit longer than
> usual because I'm moving to debhelper).

Ugh. I was working on a new release too. I wanted to send it to you - I will
not do an NMU as long as I am able to reach the original maintainer. I am not
that self-confident yet as I am a new maintainer ;-)

> BTW Should I assume that you are using PPP quite heavily from the fact that
> you are doing so much work on the BTS etc. ?  If so, and if you are using it
> in a variety of settings, you might be a better person to maintain it than I.

No, not really. I have to explain:

I suggested Debian for a server in university and told them all the advantages
- along with other things of the BTS of course. Too bad they really looked at
it... They told me that they would not consider such a buggy distribution as
the operating system for a server.

What's really annoying to me is that I have to agree. There are way too much
bugs in Debian now. We should address this issue soon because this conflicts
with out social contract which says:

"we will provide an integrated system of high-quality, 100% free software".

So we (Othmar and I) thought we will simply do something to get some bugs
tracked down and started to hunt some bugs. I don't remember why we focused
on ppp in the first time but it does not really matter.

I am hoping we can get an initiative which works on bugs of maintainers that
do not have enough time to cope with the load of bugs on their packages. Like
the people who support Linus in developing our kernel - the maintainer as a
benevolent dictator :)

I think this is a good way to getting started in working for Debian - you do
not have any responsibility on your shoulders but still contribute to the
project.

> I used to do a lot of PPP work for my clients, but these days many of them
> are moving to leased lines, and the others have much less complex setups, so I
> don't get to stress test it as much as I used to.

I am only using it at home to connect to my ISP. As such you will probably
still have the better capabilities to make intensive tests with ppp.

> Just a thought --- I'm quite happy to carry on maintaining it, and should have
> more time to work on it than has been the case of late, but if for example you
> are being payed to maintain the PPP setup for an ISP that uses Linux for its
> PPP servers, you might be in a better position to maintain it.

I don't think so but I would like to take ppp from your shoulders if you want
me to. If you decide to stay the maintainer I will continue to support you as
well as I can. Let's get those bugs closed :)

I am not that kind of person who complains about something not working he got
for free. Instead I will try to change it to the better. That's why I like
free software - it's so much easier to patch a program you have the sources
for. I did not really have a problem with ppp - most of my problems are with
SuSE which we are using at university now :-(

> Cheers, Phil.

cu
    Torsten