Re: Proposal: Package status page.

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 03:46:44AM +0100, Jakob Sandgren wrote:
> After reading the thread about "lilo 21-1" and all the messages about
> "when will XFree86-3.3.3 be availiable" I thought that a status page
> about package "completion" would be nice. I think it can be done in a
> very autmatic way;
>
> 1. A program scans (freshmeat?) for a new upstream release, when a new
>    release is availiable, a message is sent to the maintainer.

I think most maintainers know when new releases of their packages are
available.  For example I know that epic4pre2.001nr9 is out, though
freshmeat probably doesn't know about it yet--nope it doesn't.

> 2. The maintainer replys to the message with ETA or some other
>    information (maybe this release should not become a .deb for some
>    reason).
> 3. The response from the maintainer is automaticaly processed and a
>    status page is updated.
> 4. (Optional) The maintainer can mail delay information etc. to update the
>     status page.

I disagree with this process to a point, but I agree that it might be
nice if there was a place where a maintainer could submit package
information.  Maybe info available from apt or a web page or both at some
point?  This deserves some thought both as to how best implement and how
best to make it available.

The ability to update this info is the key to making it really useful I
think.

> 5. A program scans Incoming and dists/* and updates the status page
>    when the .deb file arrives and updates the status page.

This is a major plus, better if it removes the old info if the upload
isn't a NMU or saves it if it's not.  I'm not sure if there's a good way
to do it though, I guess we'll have to ask the people who maintain master
and ftp.de and see what they think.  Sounds cool though!

> It's only [2] and the optional [4] that needs some input from the
> maintainer, and that would be a single email with a keyword in.
> One other good thing(?) would be that it would be possible to generate
> a log of statistics; how many packages have new upstream releases,
> what is the average time it takes to generate a .deb from an upstream
> release etc etc... ;)
>
> Opinions (on the idea or the implementation)?
>
> Forgive me if this is a allready discussed subject, I'm quite new to
> this mailinglist.

An excellent idea with some interesting potential.  I see it most useful
as a way for a package maintainer to provide post-release info..  Known
bugs and workarounds, info about packaging the next version, that sort of
thing.

--
"You're despicable."  -- Daffy Duck