Re: libc6 needs >= 2.0.7u (Closes: dpkg-shlibdeps is too strict

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 04:39:48PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > No. The only thing you have to be aware is that you have to link
> > executables with object files containing C++ code with the correct
> > linker. And that's {egcc,g++} {-shared,-o}. libgcc.a is an internal
> > compiler library, so you cannot expect 100% compatibility with different
> > versions. Please give me an example, where you use the correct linker
> > and compatibility is still a problem.
>
> This seemed to make sense at first, then, when I tried to figure out
> the implications, I realized that I did not understand under what
> condition there could be an incorrect linker.
>
> Obviously, there have been problems.  It's not obvious to me
> what those problems were a symptom of.
>
> Perhaps point me at the relevant documentation?

One that would be possible is anything that directly invokes ld to
build the shared library, perhaps with gcc --print-libgcc-file-name.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |