Oddities about jpeg_6a, advice requested

It is my understanding that the 6b libraries are a replacement for the
6a libraries and that there is no reason to keep the oold ones
around.  The presence of the two versions errs a little too far to the
left.

What is more bothersome, though, is that the 6a source is *not* the
original source.  It doesn't even compile.  6b is OK.

Anyway, Joel Klecker <espy@debian.org> claims to have fixed this bug
some time ago.  It is in the changelog as fixed.  Is this true?

It seems to me there should only be one libjpeg package and it should
be called libjpeg or libjpeg6.  Do we care?