Re: APT [was Re: Is this really the right thing to do?]

Hello,

> > (separate) tool which analyses the dependancy information and outputs a
> > list of packages which have no dependancies, optionally offering a choice
> > of removing them or not.
>
> This is not feasible.  Most packages are not needed by other packages.
> This tool would spit out a list of (almost) every non-library package
> on the system.

Actually, it's not that ridiculous - the tool would keep its own list of
what's wanted and what's not.

However, it should be a part of apt, because (a) this tool will be most useful
to beginner admins, and (b) if you think about it, you'd end up replicating
most of the functionality of apt/dselect.

One very interesting question will be the handling of alternatives (and
virtual packages).

> > mostly, though, i can't see the point. what harm does it do to have a
> > few extra libraries installed on a system? it's not like they actually
> > cause any problems if they aren't used.

Well, I'd rather use the disk space for something I want, rather than a
library for a program I tried out and didn't like.

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>