Re: Intent to package zone-file-check

* Alexander Koch (Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 10:20:48PM +0100)
> On Thu, 3 December 1998 22:06:26 +0100, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:
> > zone-file-check is a program to check a BIND zone file for
> > errors.  It has a GPL license.
>
> well, go ahead...
> but what about just doing a "host -C -A -L 1 your.domain.de"?
> if your zone survives this, you're good. ,)

Well, on one of the DNS server where I work we have over 5000 zone
files, and syntax checking zone files before reload is important,
because a DNS that large is impractical to reload for every single
change.

You typically tell the operators to run "make" every time they have
been editing something, and that tells them if any of the zone files
edited after last "make" has errors.

I wasn't aware of the use of "host -C -A -L 1 rlyeh.net"[0], but it
doesn't cover all the uses of zone-file-check, and vice-versa.

Besides, I've finished the package, and upload now. :-)

[0] - Wow, nice. :-)
--
 SSM - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
  Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend