menu problems under the broken libc6...with "fix"

FYI,

My apt/dselect has been broken even WITH the proposed `libreginfo' fix:
instead of dynamic linking failing update-menus dumped core!

The problem showed up as follows: apt-get told me that the packages gnuplot
and xemacs20-nomule were ...

 dpkg: error processing gnuplot (--remove):
  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
  reinstall it before attempting a removal.

I then tried to reinstall them both

 # apt-get -f install gnuplot xemacs20-nomule
 Updating package status cache...done
 Checking system integrity...ok
 2 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 59 not upgraded.
 10 packages not fully installed or removed.
 Need to get 0b/2644k of archives. After unpacking 0b will be used.
 Selecting previously deselected package gnuplot.
 (Reading database ... 73701 files and directories currently installed.)
 Preparing to replace gnuplot 3.5beta6.347-2 (using gnuplot_3.5beta6.347-3.deb) ...
 Unpacking replacement gnuplot ...
 /var/lib/dpkg/info/gnuplot.postrm: line 11: 29052 Segmentation fault      update-menus
 dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 139
 dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
 /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 11: 29055 Segmentation fault      update-menus
 dpkg: error processing gnuplot_3.5beta6.347-3.deb (--unpack):
  subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 139
 /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 11: 29058 Segmentation fault      update-menus
 dpkg: error while cleaning up:
  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 139
 Selecting previously deselected package xemacs20-nomule.
 Preparing to replace xemacs20-nomule 20.4-7 (using xemacs20-nomule_20.4-8.deb) ...
 Unpacking replacement xemacs20-nomule ...
 E: Sub-process returned an error code

There I was stuck for a while :(

Once I thought about it the "fix" was obvious, of course:

 # dpkg --remove menu

Now all is dandy and humming along happily (and I'll put on a note of paper
to reinstall menu and uninstall libreginfo.so once the dust has cleared :).

Enjoy,
	Kristoffer

PS. Nice with an i386-only problem, for a change: my main system is an
Debian GNU/Linux*alpha and that's getting wonderfully reliable these days :)
--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, phd, prof.associé  <http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~krisrose>
addr: LIP, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, 46 Allée d'Italie, F-69364 Lyon 7