Re: Leadership, effects on Debian and open source community

--On Wed, Dec 2, 1998 6:34 pm -0800 "Joseph Carter" <knghtbrd@debian.org>
wrote:

>> > And we'll just compromise our morals, our commitment, and our
>> > credibility away.  Congratulations Debian, you're the next Eric
Raymond.
>> > Well meaning and with high principles, but ready to compromise whenever
>> > we think we need to.  I cannot find this acceptable in any way, shape,
>> > or form.
>>
>> I'm confused by you here.  What is your suggestion?  We don't compromise,
>> and hence chuck out TeX and apache?
>
> If we are saying from the outset we will accept things we'd prefer not to
> have as we do now, it's different than if we decide to adopt something
which
> DOESN'T have provision for it and then take things that don't fit it.
>
> I'm not real hot on saying one thing and doing another.

Ah.  No, that's not what I was advocating.  I was simply wishing to say out
loud that I agreed with Ian in so far as I don't like the patch clause or
the advertising clause.  I am certainly *not* in favour of saying one thing
and doing another (and I am probably not in favour of deprecating the patch
clause or the advertising clause).

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Debian GNU/Linux - "Microsoft *does* have a year 2000 problem -     |
|                      and we're it!" (paraphrased from IRC)           |