Re: Versioned provides (was Re: Namespace pollution wrt gmp[123]

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 09:30:03PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On 2 Dec 1998, Jim Pick wrote:
>

> > Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org> writes:
> >
> > > I'd like to rename zlib's binary packages, but until we get versioned
> > > provides, I can't, due to the >= 1.1.3 in the shlibs file.
> >
> > This is my #1 wish for dpkg.
>
> APT already completely supports it but there is no parser to generate the
> data so the functionality is disabled. When dpkg is patched APT can do it
> real quick.
>
> I suggest the syntax
>
> Provides: foo (= 1.1)
>
> Which parallels the depends syntax. I think I even have a generic parser
> for that someplace.

Take in mind that we can only provide a specific version, not a range like

Provides: foo (<< 1.2)

But I think that's more trouble than it seems for dpkg... IIRC, it's
something in regards to the way dpkg handles virtual package (providing
virtual versioned package?!) However, I really think it's a most have
feature. So, please, go for it ! :)

> Jason

Fabien Ninoles                                             GULUS founder
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                      http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70