Re: Cobalt Qube

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 10:11:15AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 04:01:23PM +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > The Powerpc can do that also, but i think a particular endianness is chosen
> > either in the hardware (hardwired, or hardware switch) or by the OS. in the
> > powerpc it is possible to change endiannes my changing a value in the control
> > register, but i don't think anyone has yet taken advantage of it, for example
> > to use little endian only drivers in a big endian setting.
>
> As I understand it, the processor will gladly operate in another
> endianness - but your firmware may object strenuously.  There's really
> no adequate way I can see to take advantage of this, except for
> bragging points.

what firmware ? what has it to do with it ? it could possibly work on non mac
hardware then ? I thought the main point was that it would probably confuse a
lot of things, and that in the long end it would probably be easier to rewrite
the driver to be endianess aware than to play with the endianness issue ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER