Re: X won't start - error 111

In increasing desperation, I now put this to the -devel list:

I just downgraded my X packages to  3.3.2.2-1 to see if that would get
rid of a bug in some commercial software.  X now refuses to start on my
console:

  _FontTransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
  failed to set default font path 'tcp/localhost:7100,tcp/localhost:7101'

(I can give the whole output of startx if anyone thinks it will help.)

I can't find out what is causing this error.

Error 111 is defined as 'connection refused', but what is trying to
connect to which?.

/etc/X11/config:
# This file contains configuration flags for the X Window System.
# For a description of the meanings of the flags, see
# /usr/doc/X11/README.Debian

run-xconsole
obey-nologin
allow-user-resources