Re: DFSG - the patch clause is harmful (was Re: Draft new DFSG)

Hello,

Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 07:03:37PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > * Run an anon-CVS service for your working tree.
> >
> > * Use a shared CVS server for yur internal development.
>
> The CVS organizes the code as BASE + patches.

Actually, by default it doesn't. Normally, RCS stores latest version with
reverse deltas on the trunk and forward deltas on the branches. IIRC.

I'm not sure if it's possible to configure it for forward deltas throughout.
If not, you'd have to work on an RCS branch (and study CVS for a long time).

> > * Take over maintenance after the original author has died, been
> > bought, lost access to the 'net or whatever, and completely reorganise
> > the source tree.
>
> I don't know what happens to copyrights if the author dies.

For a half to three-quarters of a century, it goes on.

> If he can't simply go on with the project he can always transfer the
> copyright to someone else.

Not if he's dead... or for some other reason unwilling.

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>