RE: Do packagers need current systems?

The simple answer is: it would be a good idea.

Things like C++ apps have lately been dependant on the libstdc++ they are
linked with.  Same with GTK+ 1.1 apps.  Simple things, or un-important packages
may be okay otherwise.  Also, "latest" is not clear.  Running slink to release
packages for slink is ok.  But getting version 1.1.1.1 when you have 1.1.1.0 is
often not important.