Re: Amusing bugreport

On Tue, Nov 24, 1998 at 10:39:05PM -0500, Mitch Blevins wrote:

> > Many of them are very old, and probably are already fixed, so someone must
> > recheck all of them, to clean the database.
> > [snip]
>
>  Amusing, yes.  But also something we should take seriously.
>  I recently thought I had found a bug in dpkg, and went to see if the bug
>  report had already been filed.  I gave up in despair after seeing the
>  multitude of bugs and thinking of the prospect of trying to decipher
>  each one to see if it applied to my situation.

For me there are far to many bugs in MANY packages. Another thing is to see
how long it takes until a bug gets fixed.

A friend of mine noticed this for the ppp-package and we met on irc to wipe
those bugs. Of course we did not fix them all but we were able to sort out
which bugs weren't really bugs, which were fixed and which are quite easy to
fix.

Problem is: We need some help to decide how to handle some things. I am new to
debian development and so I am not sure which bugs to close :) Of course this
is not really interesting since I am not the maintainer of ppp.

My idea to get some bugs fixed: What about creating a new channel on
irc.debian.org dedicated to fixing bugs. I guess if we can discuss the bugs in
realtime we can fix them a lot faster than by email-discussion.

Just my $0.02

	Torsten