Re: Draft new DFSG

> (h) Changed name or version number for modified version
>
> The licence may require modified versions to be distributed under a
> different name or with a different version number, provided that this
> doesn't interfere with using the modified version as a replacement for
> the original.

see the tex.web:

% This program is copyright (C) 1982 by D. E. Knuth; all rights are reserved.
% Copying of this file is authorized only if (1) you are D. E. Knuth, or if
% (2) you make absolutely no changes to your copy. (The WEB system provides
% for alterations via an auxiliary file; the master file should stay intact.)
% See Appendix H of the WEB manual for hints on how to install this program.
% And see Appendix A of the TRIP manual for details about how to validate it.

So, if we don't permit unmodified source+patches scheme we should abandon TeX.
IMHO, it's inacceptable.

                          Internet Service and Information
                          Providing Center of Pushchino
 e-mail: ilya@psn.ru      Research Center of RAS
 phone: +7(0967)73-90-03  Pushchino, Moscow region, Russia.