Re: run-parts for /etc/profile?

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Marc Haber wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Debian relies heavily on run-parts which I consider a very useful tool
> to aid packages in installing extensions to standard config files like
> cron.daily. For me, the logical step would be having an /etc/profile
> containing something like run-parts /etc/profile.d and having packages
> install their environment changes etc. in special scripts in
> /etc/profile.d.
>
> Is there a special reason why this hasn't been done?

Because it is Debian's policy for software to not rely on any specific
environment variables being set.  Besides, it is generally evil to go
mucking around in everyone's environment just because a new package was
installed.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/