Re: Qt license change

luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr wrote:

>Ok that is another point, but i think if you are able to but Qt into main, you
>can resort to the "library normally distributed with the system" clause of the
>GPL.

Yes, I think that's right.

>I think Qt does not belong in main, but i am not sure if my interpretation of
>the DFSG, point 6 is correct.

[...no discrimination against fields of endeavour...]

>What is the proper way to use a library, does it only include using programs
>linked to it, or does it also extend to being able to develop software with it.

Both qualify as "use", I believe.

In any case, I don't think copyright restricts the ways you can use a
program, only the copying of it.  To achieve that effect, the
restrictions would have to be explicitly written in the licence as a
condition on copying, forbidding you to copy the program unless you
agreed to the usage restrictions (a bit like the way shrink-wrap
licences attempt to restrict usage, e.g. to one user at a time).

If I got that right, clause 5 in the QPL v0.9 is meaningless, but
clause 6 does impose real restrictions.

>Only the first is permited by the QPL, the second is not without buying the
>commercial Qt.

Wrong.  QPL v0.9:

  5. You may use the original or modified versions of the Software to
     compile, link and run application programs legally developed by you
     or third parties.

  6. You may develop application programs, reusable components and other
     software items that link with the original or modified versions of the
     Software under the following restrictions:
     a. [...]
     b. [...]
     c. As an alternative to (a) or (b), you may offer these application
        programs, reusable components and other software items that link with
        the original or modified versions of the Software under the Artistic
        license or any GPL license.

This clause is no more restrictive than the equivalent part of the GPL
(which requires that if you distribute program executables linked
against a GPLed library, those executables must also be GPLed).  There
is nothing in the QPL to say that you may not sell programs you write
which are linked against the Software, only that you must distribute
those programs under one of a restricted set of licences (including the
GPL).

>If i am a software developper, the proper use of the Qt library for me is being
>able to use it to produce programs, isn't it ?

And you can do that.  No restrictions, except which licences you may
use for your program.

However, there are still a few problems with the QPL:

 - clause 2 doesn't explicitly grant permission to sell copies of the
   Software.

 - clause 6 doesn't define what it means by "the Artistic license" or
   "any GPL license".  "GPL", as used by GNU, means "General Public
   License".  Do Troll really mean "any General Public License"!?  (Or
   even "any General Public License license". ;-))

 - the "entire package" requirement in clause 2, and all of clause 3
   (except 3(c)), make it incompatible with the GPL.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>