Re: Qt license change

"J.H.M. Dassen \(Ray\)" <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> I doubt that. Q PUBLIC LICENSE version 0.9:
> :3. You may make modifications to the Software. In order to preserve the
> :integrity of the unmodified version of the Software, modifications must be
> :distributed in the form of patches

> This restriction looks incompatible with the GPL.

Maybe, I don't read the GPL. It's very messy. Don't know why american
licenses is so unreadable.

It is not incompatible with DFSG in this matter and that's the
important part. We discussed the QPL in SSLUG and someone mentioned
that QTL breaks DFSG in one place:

The Debian Free Software Guidelines

    1. Free Redistribution
       The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from
       selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate
       software distribution containing programs from several different
       sources. The license may not require a royalty or other fee for
       such sale.

I don't see anything in the QPL allowing anybody to _sell_ Qt. Maybee
it's a matter of words but does distribution include selling?

--
Peter er den mindst gamle af de gammeldags usenettere, og moderator på
den eneste modererede gruppe i dk.*, so there.