Re: A Proposal to solve the non-US problem.

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Joseph Carter wrote:

> > > What we're talking about is making this transparent for users with apt.
> >
> > Which is absolutely useless if you can't mirror your solution, easily.
> > Not all debian mirrors run debian, and if it's a pain for them to do,
> > they'll stop.
>
> You misunderstand...  The idea isn't the SERVERS use apt, the idea is the
> USERS use apt.  The mirrors should be able to use pretty much any unix box I
> hope.  Probably even NT if they're masochistic.

I don't think you saw my original point, we are adding restrictions to the
packages file, which means mirrors need to look in this file to figure out
what they are allowed to mirror.  Apt is the closest program that does
this I think, although my mentioning it probably only confused people.
I've used apt and know what it's purpose is, and I've also mirrored a site
before and know what a pain it is.  I'm trying to make sure our solution
doesn't loose sight of the fact that we have to make it easy for _both_
mirrors and users.

Sorry for the confusion,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * bhmit1@mail.wm.edu * http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/ |
|  Sometimes you have to release software with bugs. - MS Recruiter  |