Re: Several glibc problems...

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 01:09:38PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> 1. glibc 2.0.7
[..]

I'm not sure how we'll fix this, but if at all possible for slink we need
to.

> 2. glibc 2.1
[..]

Is it reasonable to use 2.0.36 perhaps?  Would that be recent enough kernel
headers?  There is perhaps time to put 2.0.35 or 36 into slink without
changing EVERYTHING.

> 3. kernel headers
[..]

I don't think we should start i386 using devel kernels and glibc just yet ev
we can help it.  Not slink this late into freeze (considering planned
release date, we're "late into the freeze")

> Should we consider producing a release with a "development" kernel?

No, not yet.  By "not yet" I mean not in slink at all, but not yet in potato
either.  We need to fix glibc in frozen if we can now.  When slink is fixed,
I would argue that we should immediately target postato for 2.1.x or even
2.2.x and glibc 2.1 as soon as possible.

> Should I target such glibc packages for experimental only?

You might consider what Branden is doing with X and I plan to be doing with
epic4..  That is, put the packages on master.debian.org~/you with a nice
Packages.gz for apt.  IMO projects/experimental is too hard to work with
because you wan't easily get the most current glibc from it for example
without seeing (and if you're not careful accidentally getting) the latest
version of some package you really would rather not have installed.

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.