Re: A Proposal to solve the non-US problem.

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 02:56:02PM -0600, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
<snip>

> In the longer run it might be better to have a network of masters connected
> by a usenet-like flooding algorithm.  The restrictions would prevent
> packages from making illegal border crossings and prevent packages from
> being uploaded to 'illegal' masters.  Mirror administrators could then
> mirror masters in countries with compatible laws or else install the
> appropriate software and become 'leaf nodes'.

This sounds like an great idea.  The only fall back is that we'll have to
modify dpkg/apt to cope with accessing serveral different masters, and
collecting the appropriate packages from where available.  IMHO this is would
be a great feature for apt anyway.  I often find a mirror doesn't have a file
I want, and apt just dies - it would be nicer if it then tried to get it from
my secondary site.

Chris

REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q)   ....Debian GNU/Linux
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5