Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 09:49:44PM -0500, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
>> > The *license* of GPG is DFSG-compliant.  Unfortunately, when coupled
>> > with particular software, additional legal terms apply to it,
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > imposing restrictions on distribution in addition to the
>> > restrictions imposed by its original license which makes the
>> > software NOT DFSG-compliant.
>>
>> Say what?  What software are you talking about?
>> GnuPG as distributed in Debian *is* DFSG free.
>
>Yes, I was talking about GnuPG. And I expressed my opinion.
>As for DFSG-compiance -- can I redistribute it freely from my nyu.edu web page
>without getting into the legal trouble?

No, but that doesn't make GnuPG DFSG-free. It's the law (I assume that
nyu.edu is in the U.S)

>Am I missing something?

Yes.
You're mixing two independent things:

License != Law in the country where you live.

What would you do if you lived in France, Iraq or Russia?
We probably need not only non-US sections but also non-fr, non-iq, non-ru.