Re: [Andreas Tille <tille@physik.uni-halle.de>] Fix for memory leaks in gdk and glib

    Owen> (Also, you really shouldn't compile the GTK+ packages with
    Owen> --disable-debug. The default --enable-debug=minimum was
    Owen> chosen to provide a bit of extra sanity checking, and hence
    Owen> extra stability for buggy applications, while still
    Owen> providing performance pretty close to that of
    Owen> --disable-debug.  The --enable-debug options have nothing to
    Owen> do with whether -g is present or not. To affect that you
    Owen> have to set CFLAGS.)

    Ben> There were about 3 or 4 requests to separate out the debug
    Ben> from the non-debug packages. So now we have a libgtk built
    Ben> with --disable-debug, and one built with
    Ben> --enable-debug. They're separate, and I kind of think buggy
    Ben> applications should be debugged, ne? :)

    Owen> The point is:

    Owen>  --disable-debug is not tested, it does not give significant
    Owen> speed improvements, it can trigger additional bugs; since it
    Owen> turns off assertions, it is even conceivable that there are
    Owen> security holes present with --disable-debug that are trapped
    Owen> with --enable-debug=minimum.

Okay, then I guess all the people who submitted bug reports will
lose out and I'll begin making the GTK+ non-debug packages without
--disable-debug.

If anyone on debian-devel cares about this, speak up now or forever
hold your peace.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters H and J and the number 5.
"You have my pills!" -- Grampa Simpson