Re: Multi-machine/Cluster Administration

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 10:13:36AM +0100, Lars Steinke wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 08:51:40PM +1100, Chris Leishman wrote:
> >
> > Recently there have been alot of expressed interests in a way to maintain
> > multiple debian linux machines, all with similar configuration.
> >
> > This just goes to show how popular debian is becoming - and how far our
> > reputation as the most manageable system is taking us.
> >
> > However, what we don't seem to have is a clear-cut answer for any of these
> > queries.  This is because a) we don't have a great way to do this ATM, and
> > b) we haven't decided how to tackle this problem.
>
> I just wanted to mention again that, at least for i386 architecture, there's
> quite an easy way to accomplish that feat (which doesn't eliminate our need
> for a centralized configuration management system to support all the
> Debian architectures though...):
>
> The University of Geneva has worked out a remote-boot setup which works
> exceptionally well by unpacking Debian images to the local client harddisk.
> It does take an additional piece of hardware though: A PXE BootPROM for
> the network card which starts an interpreter called BPBatch.
>
> Interested ? Check http://cuiwww.unige.ch/info/pc/remote-boot
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Lars <lss@debian.org>

Lars, but when I sent that mail the idea was that we form a development group
to design (and possibly implement) a solution.  Mailing this sort of stuff
into devel does give everybody a new way of looking at the problem, but with
all the different messages flying around its hard to get a consensus.

I would again like to propose that a list be set up, and people such as
yourself can subscribe with an initial post of your ideas on how the problem
can be solved.  From there everyone can discuss the merits of each and
(hopefully) for a fully rounded solution.

Can someone on admin let us know if a seperate list is possible?

Regards,

Chris

REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q)   ....Debian GNU/Linux
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5