Re: Emacs addon packages--compile upon install?

Hi,
>>"Ben" == Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

 Ben> This morning I uploaded a version of w3-el that doesn't compile upon
 Ben> installation--instead, there are separate precompiled packages for
 Ben> Emacs 19 and Emacs 20, plus a shared documentation package.  I see
 Ben> this as a better way to go than forcing the end-user to have to sit
 Ben> through a long compile (it can take 15-30 minutes for w3-el to compile
 Ben> on an older machine).

	This is the old way of doing things. I find that compilation
 on my 486 is not too long. I prefer not cluttering up my mirror with
 useless redundant packages, and as a maintainer, I do not like having
 to install ever darned version of emacsen there is mbsk, non mbsk, or
 whatever.

 Ben> Unless there's a really good reason, I think it might be better
 Ben> strategy to more towards something closer to the w3-el model, i.e.,
 Ben> one binary package for each Emacs version: for instance, bbdb-e19,
 Ben> bbdb-e20, bbdb-x19, bbdb-x20.  There could be a bbdb-common or
 Ben> bbdb-doc for shared files.

	We moved away from the w3 model for reasons that peole have
 already mentioned. IMHO, I like the new way of doing things, and this
 is a step back.

	manoj
--
 "I think contraception is disgusting -- people using each other for
 pleasure." Joseph Scheidler, Director, Pro-Life Action League