Re: Slink not installable from CDs

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 06:18:09AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:

> > How do we determine what's important, and what's optional ?
>
> Some people already mentioned that we need to distinguish between
> certain packgages.
>
> I propose:
[...]

I think we should play a simple game of numbers, and I think FTP statistics
are a good place to get those numbers :)

Simply start with the most popular package, and pull in all of its
dependencies.  Then continue with the next-most-popular package that isn't
already included, and pull in its dependencies.  And so on... stop when
the next package+dependencies won't fit any more on the first CD.

I'd rather not make any discrimination based on which section/priority the
package maintainer thought the package should be in. "extra" contains some
rather useful packages (like sendmail) while "optional" contains many
less-popular niche packages.

Hmm, but I guess we'll also want to force 'base' in there whether it's
popular or not :)

I can't promise anything, but I _think_ I should have time to write a script
like this next weekend... if someone doesn't beat me to it.  It should be a
pretty easy job of parsing the Packages and FTP statistics.  The
dependencies will be the hardest part, but still a much easier job than the
APT and gdselect people have had...

Since this script will only really be useful to CD-makers, this project
would be mostly independent of dpkg-multicd or whatever.

Have fun,

Avery