Re: Emacs addon packages--compile upon install?

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

   I agree that waiting for the large add-on packages to compile during
   installation is very aggravating.  At the same time, it puts a lot of
   load on the maintainers to build so many byte-compiled versions.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  With w3-el, I just set it up to
build each flavor in a separate subdirectory; i.e.,

	mkdir e19; cd e19; ../configure --with-emacs=emacs19; make
	mkdir e20; cd e20; ../configure --with-emacs=emacs20; make

Simple and elegant.

Yes, it took a little fiddling with the Makefile.in's to achieve this,
since apparently w3-el wasn't designed to be compiled this way (most
autoconf-based programs are), but now that it's done, it shouldn't
have to be done again until the next version comes around.

Ben