Re: KDE gone, Linux next ? [binary only support != good support]

In article <[🔎] 19981013134504.T21456@osiris.ml.org>, Brian Ristuccia
<brianr@osiris.ml.org> wrote:

>Unfortunately, this new security fix breaks the binary-only gigabit ethernet
>driver.

That's what stable kernel interfaces are for. Actually I don't recall
_any_ change in a stable kernel that broke any kernel-interface. Ok, you
have this problem with development-kernels, but a production system
shouldn't be built on that anyway.

I can't say if there are any license problems with binary-only kernel
modules, but the horror-scenario that you propose shouldn't occur with
stable kernels, so it is no argument against binary-only modules.

BTW: when a company decides to build their productive environment on a
open-source system like linux, they should really use their brain and
choose hardware that has open-source drivers. Actually the open source is
_one_ of the arguments pro such a system, so it sounds really stupid to
drop this idea on something as important as a kernel-level driver module!

This shouldn't say that I would find binary-only drivers any good -
actually I won't use them.

bye, Georg

--
http://www.westfalen.de/hugo/