Re: 1FA: problem still in hamm disks

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 12:34:09PM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Brent> I'd like to chime in -- It's a real annoyance that the base
>     Brent> disks don't set up lilo to let you boot into multiple
>     Brent> operating systems.  Couldn't it ask if you want to
>     Brent> dual-boot with windows, or whatever, and generate an
>     Brent> appropriate lilo.conf file?
>
> Sure. How about you write the script to do so?

While I'm at it, *PLEASE* drop the dependency of lilo on mbr. I don't want
a new mbr eg if I want to install LILO to use on a floppy ONLY (I use
GRUB on my HD). Change it to Recommends. mbr being a high priority and/or
essential (can't remember if it is) should be enough.

>     Brent> This is an area where RedHat has a significant lead over
>     Brent> us.  One of the guys I work with is a huge RedHat fan
>     Brent> because he can just pop a RH CD into the drive, windows
>     Brent> will autorun it, and RedHat install starts.  It sets up
>     Brent> almost everything for the user.
>
> If RH has released this code under the GPL, then why don't we borrow
> it for our use? I know that it's as simple as having an 'autorun'
> directory on the CD image.

IIRC there is an "autorun.cfg" or similar too.

>     Brent> I know we support far more configurations, etc. etc. etc.,
>     Brent> but for the average Joe New-User this is a large hurdle.
>
> I'm sure Enrique is always happy to accept code to do so. :)

Just out of interest, how does the autorun bit work? You can't just run
loadlin straight from Windoze.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP Key: finger tom@master.debian.org, http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pgpkeys.asc.