Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 11:47:22AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Count me in with Criag and Santiago. dpkg should never, ever,
>  think it is smarter than the user. It has control over certain files
>  on my disk; it should never touch anything else not in its
>  jurisdiction.

    While I agree here...

> 	There is no reason ever to uncompress a file (lesspipe and
>  lessopen make it unnecessary). When I uncomress a file, it is done
>  for a reason, and dpkg had bloody well leave it alone.

    I don't agree here.  Some programs have included example files
that are either c files that (unless there's a trick I don't know
about) will not compile compressed, or example data files that cannot
be read by the program in question compressed.  The svgalib package(s)
comes to mind as an example.  Should I file a wishlist bug against
policy that files meant to be compiled or used by programs otherwise
not supporting gzip be left uncompressed?

 Zed Pobre <zed@va.debian.org> | PGP key on servers, fingerprint on finger