Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

Craig Sanders wrote:

> no tool will ever be smart enough to cope perfectly with users leaving
> crud all over the disk.
>
> users should uncompress their files to /tmp or under /usr/local or some
> other more suitable location. if they choose to do otherwise, then
> they should accept the consequences of their actions and deal with it
> themselves.

So, at least Craig Sanders and Santiago Vila are so engrained into Debian
that they now think the original usable file is the gzip'ed one, not the
author's original text.  I disagree.

Sure, dealing with uncompressed files on upgrade is a special case.  Sure
dpkg should have to be changed, or maybe /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list file
could have regular expressions, like:

/usr/info/emacs-e20-2(.gz)?

Mike Stone wrote:

> Hmm. We have zless to less gz'd files.
You see, I didn't even know about that program!
>                                        Magicfilter will print them, as
> will a2ps (maybe some others will too, haven't tried it.) Netscape reads
> them, so does lynx. And of course man and info work with them. zgrep
> will grep them. vim reads them just fine. I'm drawing a blank on things
> I can't do with .gz'd files...

 - A new user won't know about special setups needed for emacs, less and
   other program.
 - When I switched to Debian, I used ghostview and not gv for
   postscript (out of luck there too).
 - A new user may need the docs on a crippled system, or on a system with
   only the base system installed.
 - If you are using some docs often on a 486, you end up uncompressing them
   because it's too slow otherwise.

I'm not arguing that dpkg should handle .aux files files behind after
someone has latex'ed docs.  I'm arguing that the `intent' of packaging
a compressed file is to have the uncompressed original available on the
system.  Debian upgrades should therefore acknowledge the possibility that
files have been decompressed.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada