Re: gdselect alpha 3

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Tom Lees wrote:

> Adam, how far have you got? Maybe we should collaborate on this.
> I believe its probably not much effort to port to libapt - the main
> problem is the "dependency screen" bit.

Well, I removed the dpkg.a file, and started rem'ing out code.  Got that to
compile, and then added the libapt init stuff.  That is as far as I got.
Also, to get gdselect to run as root, I had to patch to lines, as follows.

-- before
      while (!dpkg_lock("/var/lib/dpkg"))
              if ((yesnobox ("Error locking database; correct data cannot be re-read; retry?")==0))
                      return;
-- after
--
Without doing this, gdselect would be able to 'lock' the db, and run as a
normal user, but not as root.  Also, dselect still reads the db, and allows a

Adam