Re: gdselect alpha 3

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 09:48:18AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Michael> Quoting Jason Gunthorpe (jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca):
> >  >> I think this idea of 'lets quickly do something fast' is ill concieved an
> >  >> is ultimately going to hurt our image. I've looked at the latest version,
> >  >> it looks rather pretty, it's slightly more functional than dselect but
> >  >> that's about it.. It doesn't support any of the more sophisticated things
> >  >> that people are clamoring for, and it requires X, GTK and a wack of ram.
> >
> >  Michael> But it answers the people who think dselect is ugly and
> >  Michael> unintuitive and want something that runs under X.
> >
> > 	A quick and dirty answers is not really a good thing, don't
> >  you think?
> >
> > 	Competition is fine, let it get time to mature. The idea is
> >  simple: no new code after freeze. let this new system vie with apt at
> >  the next release.
> >
> > 	Since when have we considered scrapping quality just because
> >  people want something that ``looks pretty''?
> >
> > 	manoj
>
> If it's rather pretty and slightly more functional than dselect but that's
> about it... then include it!  Please!
>
> What I need from dselect is more screen space, more pixels, a less crampled
> selection environment.  It takes forver to navigate through dselect because
> of the sheer number of packages.  It seems that gdselect would help a lot
> in this respect (I use 1600x1200 on X).

So... shall I "release" it using my pkg code (takes lots of memory,
blah, blah, blah, but it works, and its written), or apt's class
system?

I now think its too silly to try to include it in the slink freeze; I
will upload it to "unstable" after the freeze has happenned.

However, making a note of it on the Debian web pages might not be such
a bad idea.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP Key: finger tom@master.debian.org, http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pgpkeys.asc.