Re: KDE gone, Lyx next ?

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> wrote:
> Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> >   Let's say I write a Qt program (and confirm that it works by linking
> >   it against Qt in the privacy of my own home) and then I include it
> >   (the source code) in a book as a programming example, and I GPL the
> >   whole book.
> >
> >   Will people be allowed to copy and modify my code under the GPL (say, to
> >   make it work with GTK), and if not why not?
>
> Did you write it by taking someone else's GPLed code and modifying?

Well, the phrase ``I write a Qt program'' was meant to mean that it was
written by me and that it was a program that made use of Qt.

Since you failed to provide an answer to the question asked, I'll try again:

  If I publish that book, will the fact that it is licensed under that GPL
  allow others to take my example program, modify it, and redistribute it
  under the GPL ?

  If not why not ?

The example program can be assumed to have been written entirely by me, as
can the book, and we'll assume that it's not cryptographic as well, so ITAR
has nothing to do with the question.

I also don't care about fair use issues, since I wanted to know if you thought
that the GPL on the book would be sufficient to grant people the right to use
the code, modify it, and distribute their modified versions under the GPL.

Cheers, Phil.