Re: Java license problems?

    John> Do we have some special permission to redistribute Java?
    John> From my reading of the license, we are not allowed to give
    John> it out to anybody else:

    John> 1. Limited License Grant. Sun grants to you ("Licensee") a
    John> non-exclusive, non-transferable limited license to use the
    John> Software without fee for evaluation of the Software and for
    John> development of Java(tm) compatible applets and
    John> applications. Licensee may make one archival copy of the
    John> Software and may re-distribute complete, unmodified copies
    John> of the Software to software developers within Licensee's
    John> organization to avoid unnecessary download time, provided
    John> that this License conspicuously appear with all copies of
    John> the Software. Except for the foregoing, Licensee may not
    John> re-distribute the Software in whole or in part, either
    John> separately or included with a product. Refer to the Java
    John> Runtime Environment Version 1.1.6 binary code license
    John> (http://java.sun.com/products/JDK/1.1/index.html) for the
    John> availability of runtime code which may be distributed with
    John> Java compatible applets and applications.

Hmm, interesting question.  The non-commercial source licence does
allow binary redistribution of a port, but I've never considered
whether that required Debian (which legally doesn't exist) to become a
licencee or whether it's sufficient for me to be a licencee.

If you want to check the non-commercial source licence, it's at
<URL:ftp://ftp.java.sun.com/docs/licensing.source_license.ps>.  The
relevant section appears below:

1.2 Sun grants to Licensee the royalty-free right to distribute binary
code developed and compiled from the Licensed Software in accordance
with Subsection 1.1 above ("Derived Binaries"), provided that: (i)
Derived Binaries are not integrated, bundled, combined or associated
in any way with a product, (ii) there is no charge associated with
such distribution, (iii) Derived Binaries are fully compatible with
the then-current version of the publicly available test suite supplied
by Sun which verifies Java compatibility ("JavaTest Suite") and must
remain compatible with subsequent versions of the JavaTest Suites and
upgraded Licensed Software, and (iv) Derived Binaries are distributed
subject to a license agreement containing terms and conditions at
least as protective of Sun as those included in the binary code
license used by Sun for internet distribution of the Java binaries. In
the event that Licensee desires that such distribution be fee-based,
or be associated with a product, Licensee must execute a commercial
license agreement with Sun.

Forwarded to debian-devel to start YALFW (yet another licensing
flame-war :))

--
Stephen
---