Re: LICENSES [was: Re: Have you seen this?]

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 05:29:08PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > In my opinion, Qt is not a section of KDE, it is not derived from the
> > KDE and it must be considered independent and separate from the KDE.
> > In other words: The KDE's usage of the GPL does not cause the GPL, and
> > its terms, to apply to Qt.
>
> Indeed Qt is not part of the problem

Thank you Alan, a few people still seem to believe otherwise.  Care to
borrow a few cluebats?  You're going to need them.

While Qt's license does not help matters much by saying that it may be used
with GPL'd software, there is nothing wrong with it saying so, realizing of
course that the GPL'd software in question must expressly permit its use
since Qt is not available on every platform as part of the base system.

Motif is on Solaris, but that's Motif and Solaris.  The issue for Debian is
Debian GNU/Linux and Qt, which by Debian's social contract will never be
included as part of the base system.  This means at least for Debian
GNU/Linux, binaries cannot be distributed linked with Qt without express
permission.  That's why Debian had to remove KDE.

> > Qt is not distributed as part of KDE.  It is distributed as part of
> > various distributions that also include the KDE, but only by "mere
> > aggregation [...] on a volume of a storage or distribution medium"
> > which the GPL okays elsewhere in the text.
>
> It is not a mere aggregation. If I remove Qt KDE is unusable. Furthermore
> your discussion with Preston Brown re legal issues clearly shows you believe
> that the question of inline code is a matter of IPR and potential lawsuits
> therefore you clearly believe the inline C++ code linked by KDE from Qt code
> is a component

I really, truly, and honsetly believe the whole notion that the GPL does not
apply to Qt because Qt is merely used by the program and "not part of it" is
merely an attempt to find any possible justification for not fixing the
problem in the KDE license--that the GPL prohibits someone to derive a work
of another's program which is dependant on non-free software that is not an
essential part of the system.  Qt is clearly not an essential system library
nor is it even a standard system library.  It's a piece of non-free code
owned by Troll Tech and licensed how Troll Tech chooses to license it, as is
their right.

Because the GPL does not by default allow people to do this, additional
rights to link Qt are required.  KDE is unwilling to admit that.  If they
are willing to admit that at least the possibility exists for Qt not to be a
standard system library as it's clearly not in Debian's case, I have offered
to help them get the permission they need from other sources.  That offer
stands, if they are willing to make an effort to fix the problem at all.

> KDE requires Qt currently. So KDE is non free. Similarly Linus does not
> distribute KDE with the kernel so its not in the base distribution. On
> Solaris KDE is shipped even though no Sun product includes Qt. So the case
> there is even more blatant

This would place KDE in Debian's contrib section---not part of Debian, but
it would be distributed as free-but-depends-on-non-free software.  This is
where KDE was, until KDE would not deal with the legitimate claim that there
was at least a potential problem without giving permission to link Qt and
geting it themselves for things they've ported.  Debian feels that it's
shaky ground for KDE to not give explicit permission to link Qt, especially
since Debian does not include Qt.  Debian feels that KDE refuses to fix the
problem because they do not wish to get the permission the GPL code they
have ported requires them to get, for fear they would not get that
permission or that KDE would be considered to be non-free software.

As for Sun, they don't earn my respect by further abusing the GPL.  I think
until I see differently I will consider them in line with Caldera and SuSE.
Ie, they have no respect for the GPL or the code written by people who were
not even asked if their code could be ported to a non-free library.  And I
can see that at least three or four of KDE's core developers have the same
respect for the GPL, none.

People who will not respect the GPL are its true enemies.  M$?  Big deal,
they wouldn't touch GPL code because they wouldn't want to become dependant
on something that could require them to rewrite massive amounts of their
code or GPL code they had written.  The enemy who says he is your enemy is
always less dangerous than the enemy who claims to be your friend.

And yet, I would help them do the right thing, if they were willing to do
it at all, because that would show me they had either enough respect for the
GPL to ask for the required permission--or at least realize that they have
to ask for it if they wants support from Debian and most of those who DO
respect the GPL.

KDE would have been better off with the LGPL or with the Artistic license (a
personal favorite) IMO.  It wouldn't help them with problems like kghostview
but it would at least have helped with other problems.