Re: 1st unpacking, 2nd dependency checking

Santiago Vila wrote:
> > But occasionally I notices that dpkg first unpacks and installs
> > the files in a particular package and checks dependencies afterwards.
> >
> > This means that wrong dependencies are discovered when it is
> > too late since the old version of the package is already
> > overwritten.

> The rationale is that this would make package installing too much
> troublesome, if not impossible in some cases. In particular, if A depends
> on B and B depends on A, you would be unable to install A and B at all.
> With the current design, you can.

This should be resolveable in one dpkg run itself since it should
be able to know which packages it's going to install.  If both,
A and B, are to be installed at the same time the issue is resolved.

However, dselect calls dpkg with -iGROEB which could make it
difficult to resolve this.

Regards,

	Joey

not tried it.  -- Donald E. Knuth