Re: LICENSES [was: Re: Have you seen this?]

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 12:45:35PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> All this is just splitting hairs, though.  The real question is "what
> is KDE's problem with just adding that additional permission to their
> license"?  How does it hurt them to do that? it's not difficult to do,
> and it would solve the problem for everyone. it would clarify their
> apparent intention, without harming them in any way. it would give
> debian (and others) the legal permission they seek to distribute the KDE
> software.

Let me try to make some qualified guess about this:

If KDE would add the permission note, they would admit that there is a
license problem, and they had to stop sucking in GPL'ed third party code
without explicit permission by the authors.

Seems that KDE has either an attitude problem or they are scared that there
wouldn't be too much support for them if they had to ask for permission to
link with a non-free library each time they incorporate foreign code.

Marcus
Disclaimer: My views are my own.