Re: The freeze and IMMINENT 2.2.0p1!!

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 09:28:32AM -0400, warp@whitestar.soark.net wrote:

> >    various compilation of programs.
>
> I thought that was part of the idea of the glibc 2 header stuff..

Yes and no. There are some programs that depend on actual kernel headers.

I agree with Joey, kernel 2.2 should not go as the default kernel in Debian
2.1, but it may be possible to have a package with it and the loads of
modules (I'm guessing here, but I think 2.2 will have 2-4 times more modules
as 2.0). It may be also nice to have a kernel-image-smp. I remember reading
an article on one of those crappy ZD magazines about how odd it seemed to
have to download a kernel from the net and compile it to have SMP support
under linux and on the other hand Windows NT supported it right out of the
box -- yeah, right, and Erwin will be running on SunOS next week.

					Marcelo