Re: dpkg config files in /etc ?

Hi,

> My general rule of thinking about it is:
> state is an opion within the program which can be changed and
> should be remembered next time.
> esp something which reasonably could change every time the program
> is used (it is concievable I have a CD today...in a month I am FTP
> upgrading)
>
> this is not something which is meant to be changed "by hand"
> besides...

There are several packages that supply a <package>-config script
to manipulate their config files because their config files are rather
complex (e.g., sendmail). The config files are, however, located
in /etc.

> the main rational for /var is to allow other partitions to be mounted
> read only...
> if this were stored in /etc..../etc would HAVE to be mounted read-write
>
> (though I supose given the nature of deslect you could argue everything
> excpet /home and /usr/local should be read-write...)

Yes, when I change the access method or the list of selected packages
I am almost certainly going to upgrade the system and therefore /etc
and /usr have to be mounted r/w anyhow.

My point is that the list of selected packages belongs to the *basic*
configuration of a debian system and it should be stored on /etc.

We have a whole bunch of different desktop debian machines and I
want to be shure that I can restore the state of each machine after
a disk crash. To rebuild a single system I need

* the knowledge of the physical disk layout
* a backup copy of /etc and /home
* a debian archive
* some information hidden in /var/lib/dpkg

It would be fine and consistent, if I could omit the last point.

Cheers, Thomas