Re: perl version depends

Le Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 08:54:46PM -0400, Michael Alan Dorman écrivait:
> Threaded perl and non-threaded perl are binary-incompatible at the
> extension level, meaning most compiled extensions must be
> distinguishable.

I think you're wrong. perl5.005 and perl5.005-thread are binary-compatible.
But in order to support threads, they had to break the
binary-compatibility beetween perl5.004 and perl5.005. That's it.

> So, yes, I think Debian does have to honor this, and to make our perl
> gratuitously different (which is to say, having it look in
> /usr/lib/perl5) would be inviting calamity some time down the road.

Which in fact doesn't mean we cannot add /usr/lib/perl5 at the end
of @INC because architecture-dependant packages will be found
before.

Cheers,
--