Re: strange sendmail behaviour (bug?)

In article <[🔎] 87zpb650ao.fsf@flevonet.nl>,
Ardo van Rangelrooij <avrangel@flevonet.nl> wrote:
>Last Monday I uploaded a new version of one of my packages.  In my
>~/.dupload.conf file I've defined the parameter 'fullname' as my full
>name :-).  The dupload script passes this parameter to the -F flag of
>sendmail as '($fullname)'.
>
>Everything went ok, accept that sendmail complained that "van" and
>"Rangelrooij)" are unknown users and "Rangelrooij)... Unbalanced ')'".

That's a bug in sendmail.  Or at least in the wrapper script that is
now installed that checks to see if sendmail needs to be started
with the SOCKS wrapper (ugly, ugly..).

For now you can just do the following to work around it:

cd /usr/sbin
mv sendmail sendmail.socks
ln -s sendmail.real sendmail

This moves the wrapper script aside and links sendmail to the real
sendmail executable.

Mike.
--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.