Re: exim really does need to be the standard MTA in slink

On Wed 07 Oct 1998, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:00:51 +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> >I personally have confidence in Exim's quality in this regard.
> >Demon (a large ISP in the UK and the Netherlands, www.demon.net)
> >uses Exim as its customer-facing smtp interface, so I guess that they're
> >convinced as well.
>
>     Just curious how you know this since when I telnet to their relay hosts
> they are very non-descript about what they run.
>
> {morpheus@teleute:/home/morpheus}telnet relay-1.mail.demon.net 25
> Trying 194.217.242.51...
> Connected to relay-1.mail.demon.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 relay-1.mail.demon.net Server SMTP (Complaints/bugs to:

Hmm. At least the NL people use Exim (haven't checked what the SMTP
banner says). But when I send mail from my demon account, a line like
the following is in the received headers:

        by post.mail.nl.demon.net with smtp (Exim 2.02 #1)
        id 0zQaxA-0003Hh-00; Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:31:16 +0000

The SMTP banner is trivial to customize, of course... The default is

smtp_banner = "${primary_hostname} ESMTP Exim ${version_number} \
  #${compile_number} ${tod_full}"

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org