Re: debian for non linux systems ...

On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 12:28:38PM +0200, luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I remember some month ago there was a discution some time ago about debian for
> non entirely debian systems (i think it was a debian-solaris thing).
>
> What happened to it ?
>
> i was given a ultra sparc 1 with solaris 2.6 here at the university, and
> þerhaps i would like to work on such a thing. (not now, but i a month or so...)

I know that one of the biggest problems is that the dependency checks
rely on a database.  This comes up when you try to build a package on
a non-debian system.  There is a real knowledge gap between installed,
unqualified packages that came with the system and pedigreed debian
packages.  In addition, the configuration of the non-debian system may
be far from what debian packages expect.  Take a look at /etc/init.d.
I wasn't party to the original conversation, so I don't know where the
thread ran.  I expect that this feature is considered low priority
when compared to the mountain of things we need to do to make debian
grow.