Re: CD images of Slink

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Marcelo E. Laurenti wrote:

> > On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 03:54:27PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> >
> > > I am wondering, if anybody tried to build a CDimage of Slink. Will
> > > main fit on one CDROM? For hamm this problem was addressed pretty
> > > late (main, contrib, non-free) and the solution was acceptable at
> > > best.
> >
> > I have. Slink's main section is about 750 MB right now. boot disks
> > (disks-i386) are about 20 MB more. Documents, 2 MB. tools, 1 MB. 5
> > MB more for indices (which I like to include on my cd's in case I
> > screw up). 5 MB overhead for the cd-specific things (the table, the
> > translation table, the other translation table, the padding, ...).
> > You end up with 785 MB to put on a single CD.
>
> I solve getting only slink/..../binary- (all/i386)/admin/

there are still a lot of symlinks from slink to hamm.

/debian/dists/slink$ du -sckL */binary-i386/
112169  contrib/binary-i386
769521  main/binary-i386
5727    non-US/binary-i386
160401  non-free/binary-i386
1047818 total

non-free and non-US don't matter for the CD, but main is 769MB and
contrib is 112MB.

i think what we need is a kernel driver for swappable CDs - some sort of
CD jukebox emulator. or apt could be made to do this without any kernel
hacks.

just for curiosity's sake, editors, x11, doc, and devel seem to be the
largest sections.

/debian/dists/slink$ du -sckL main/binary-i386/* | sort -n
447     main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
858     main/binary-i386/hamradio
1298    main/binary-i386/electronics
1518    main/binary-i386/Packages