Re: Right way to sync

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 11:50:19AM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "MS" == Marc Singer <elf@netcom.com> writes:
>
> MS> What is the *right* way to sync to slink (or any other distribution)?
> MS> I looked into dftp and found that it seems more like a method for
> MS> installing new packages than keeping in sync with the most recent
> MS> versions.
>
> apt-get update && apt-get upgrade should do the trick.

hmm why upgrade?
I always use dist-upgrade for this function....from the man page:

   dist-upgrade
       dist-upgrade, in addition to performing  the  function  of
       upgrade,  also intelligently handles changing dependencies
       with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart"  con-
       flict  resolution  system,  and it will attempt to upgrade
       the most important packages at the expense of less  impor-
       tant  ones  if  necessary.  The /etc/apt/sources.list file
       contains a  list  of  locations  from  which  to  retrieve
       desired package files.

also...since it is a fulll update:

apt-get update && apt-get -fy dist-upgrade

I dunno...just my $.02 ..its how id recommend doing it ;)

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"