Re: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/ may not be conffile ?
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/ may not be conffile ?
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Gregory S. Stark)
- Date: 03 Oct 1998 14:54:37 -0400
- Message-id: <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: Peter S Galbraith's message of "Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:39:59 -0400"
- References: <199809301739.NAA06070@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:
> Policy states:
> *Application defaults* files have to be installed in the directory
> `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/'. They are considered as part of the
> program code. Thus, they should not be modified and should not be
> tagged as *conffile*. If the local system administrator wants to
> customise X applications globally, the file `/etc/X11/Xresources'
> should be used.
> What's the logic here?
app-defaults files are very version specific. If you have the app-defaults
file from one version of a program that depends heavily on it installed and
update to a newer version the program then that program would probably not
display correctly at all.