Re: XEmacs, TeX, and Re: Lengthy Debian install procedures

Branden Robinson writes:
> If we downgraded emacs's priority, a powerful ZOT would issue forth from
> rms's fingers and utterly destroy all Debian systems in the world.
> Mind you, I'm *not* an emacs user myself.

I am.

> That and the fact that you really can expect to find GNU emacs and TeX on
> just about any Unix system in the world, regardless of vendor, which is
> part of the definition of the standard priority.

On how many of those systems was emacs put there by the vendor?  Or even
made available by the vendor?  Why isn't it enough that we make it
available and trivially easy to install?

> As for TeX, well, I like to think we're doing Donald Knuth a similar
> honor, though he has nothing to do with us.  Donald Knuth is probably one
> of the few computer scientists in the world whose genius I think even GNU
> freaks would consider -- if only for a moment -- as exceeding that of
> rms's. :)

I agree.  It's too bad that he wasted time that he could have spent
finishing _The Art of Computer Programming_ on trivia like typesetting.